Tuesday, March 2, 2010

16.24K

It's been years since I ran this distance, and what's more, had the will and energy to keep going. But I stopped myself. No point in getting cocky, just when the going's getting good.

It's just that the weather yesterday was sublime. And the light ... that late afternoon, gold-sheened light. Painters' light, as I call it. It makes the whole world seem like a fairytale. And we ran above the river, and around cul de sacs, and old mansions. We ran past Concordia Lutheran Seminary, and high above Rundle Park. We said hello to dog walkers and cyclists and teenaged kids waiting on the curb. We splashed. We leapt. We high-fived.

So Edmonton. Who knew? But I'm loving it. I'm embracing it. I haven't been out on my own yet to explore, but that's coming. Settling in, getting into a work rhythm, spending time with my intended ... these have been the priorities.



After a run.
I am looking forward to connecting with the Alberta writing community. And going to plays. And films. And interesting markets. And swimming pools for lane swims: long, long lane swims. And connecting with old friends who don't even know I'm here yet.
Ah, life is fantastic.

And yesterday, yes, running in the plus degrees in my new city; my heart light; my lungs and legs feeling strong ... only one thing could have pushed it over the line and turned it into poetry: to glance over at the man beside me and honestly believe: this is the most beautiful person.
I glanced. I believed. We freaking flew.

No comments:

Post a Comment