Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"Honey, there's a pitbull in the garden."

Woke up this morning, looked out the bedroom window, noticed movement. My eyes focused and I saw it was a pitbull. A new mama. Poor thing look so confused out there, and she fixed an unwavering eye on me in the window.

"Honey, there's a pitbull in the garden," I called to Greg, who was putting the coffee on.

"No way."

"Way. Come see."

"Holy ... that's a pitbull all right. In our garden." He reached for the phone and began dialling the City.

I went to pour us coffee, and when I returned, Greg was putting the phone down. "That's one smart dog,"
he said. "Saw me dialling the Pound and he took right off."

After breakfast--cooked oatmeal and raisins plus two toast and coffee for Greg; one cup of Rice Puffs, an orange and coffee for Weight Watching me -- Greg began getting ready for work. This being Tuesday, I was able to do my radio work from my home office -- in my pajamas, as it happened -- and thus was not in my usual rush.

Greg came back to the kitchen, almost ready to leave, and set a can of bear spray on the counter. "I'm ready to go to work now," he said.

It's been a good week. We spent Easter weekend in Jasper, our 2nd annual "Jasper in April" weekend, and it was lovely, with the requisite elk and bighorn sheep; the requisite ice cream cones; hikes and runs; and some live entertainment at my favourite pub in the Park, The Whistle Stop. You know, I even enjoy that 3 1\4 hour drive to Jasper. So good to get out of the city from time to time.

I tried to get Greg to stand directly behind this sheep ... with one hand on its flank ...
and a big smile on his face ... but he wouldn't. 

Sometimes it's great fun to sit on the grass and people-watch in Jasper
while the trains go by and by.

I don't know what happened to the pitbull. I suspect he belongs to the people who live on the corner. We saw two pitbulls in their window when we were running past the other day. Dog lover though I am, pitbulls scare the bejesus out of me. I'd just as soon not have them as neighbours, and not find them in my garden in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment